17 Mar 2012
This is a growing list of other people’s advice that I’ve found useful, posted here mostly for my own reference. (As if there weren’t enough of these already.)
The Elements of Style by Strunk and White
tl;dr: A classic on good prose and English writing.
Pet Peeves for Writing by Margo Seltzer
tl;dr: Read it. It’s short. Don’t do these things.
LaTeX Usage Notes by Eddie Kohler
tl;dr: A (beautifully typeset) document on proper LaTeX formatting, typography, and writing tips.
Slide Design for Developers by Zach Holman
tl;dr: Practical tips for making your slides better: use color and huge fonts, and treat your slides as prop, not as a crutch.
The Cognitive Style of Powerpoint by Edward Tufte
tl;dr: Tufte provides many examples of how not to make slides, and his perspective on the “projector operating system” is valuable.
You and Your Research by Edward Hamming
tl;dr: How to ask the right questions and scope your research for maximum impact by a guy who did both.
Cargo Cult Science by Richard Feynman
tl;dr: Don’t let PR, hype, or zeitgeist interfere with real science.
How to Have a Bad Career in Research/Academia by Dave Patterson
tl;dr: Good advice on pitfalls of graduate school/academia and how to avoid them.
Software is not science by Matt Welsh
tl;dr: Systems research is about principles, not artifacts.
Database Metatheory: Asking the Big Queries by Christos Papadimitriou
tl;dr: An awesome reflection on theory versus practice by one of the great CS theoreticians.
- Data Integrity and Problems of Scope (20 Oct 2014)
- Linearizability versus Serializability (24 Sep 2014)
- MSR Silicon Valley Systems Projects I Have Loved (19 Sep 2014)
- Understanding Weak Isolation Is a Serious Problem (16 Sep 2014)
- Bridging the Gap: Opportunities in Coordination-Avoiding Databases (22 Apr 2014)
- Without Conflicts, Serializability Is Free (14 Apr 2014)
- Scalable Atomic Visibility with RAMP Transactions (07 Apr 2014)
- Causality Is Expensive (and What To Do About It) (05 Feb 2014)
- Stickiness and Client-Server Session Guarantees (13 Jan 2014)
- On Consistency and Durability (10 Dec 2013)